Volunteering at SEARCH:
Volunteering can be a very rewarding process! By volunteering at SEARCH, students are provided with the opportunity to develop skills, network with health professionals, and learn about community development and programming. Everyone has the ability to make change and whether you want to volunteer a couple times or on a long-term basis, SEARCH allows you to use your abilities in a real world setting.
Role of Student Volunteers:
Students representing many disciplines are involved in SEARCH including Nursing, Medicine, Social Work, Kinesiology, Education, Arts & Science and more! Students participate in both the social and medical sides of the clinic while at SEARCH and are responsible for implementing health related programming under the guidance of professional mentors. Examples of student roles while working at the clinic include:
- Greeting clients at the door and tracking statistics
- Working in the kitchen preparing and serving meals for clients
- Observing adult counselling appointments
- Participating in a women’s talking circle
- Facilitating health related programming (literacy, cooking, etc.)
- Supervising and participating in children’s programming
- Shadowing and doing initial assessments of clients in the medical clinic
How to Become a Volunteer:
Students interested in joining the volunteer team at SEARCH should visit the How to Become a Volunteer page.