Beginning in April of 2015, SEARCH will create a new position for Student Volunteers. This position will be known as a Team Leader.
Team Leaders and their Responsibilities will be for the following specialized areas:
- Maintain Statistics
- How many children attended
- How many children participated in programming, etc.
- Child Abuse
- How to handle the situation
- Suspected child abuse
- Children disclosing abuse between others (i.e., Parents, guardians, etc.)
- How to handle the situation
- Educate on food policy at SEARCH
- Work alongside the Nutrition Mentor and teach students kitchen duties
- Be able to train and carry out kitchen supervision in absence of Nutrition Mentor
- Greet clients and create a welcoming environment
- Estimate maturity level of children when allowing unaccompanied children to stay for programming (must be over the age of 12 years)
- Ensure the proper statistics are being taken
- Ensure children leave with the same guardian in which they came with
- Ensure clients and their children are signing in and out
- Ensure the proper amount of volunteers are present at the door
- Help engage volunteers and clients
- Act as a role model for other students for engaging with clients
- Initiate conversations with clients
- Promote inclusion through conversation with clients and by partaking in programming
- Offer beverages to the clients as they arrive
Criteria for selecting student team leaders includes the following:
- Nominated by internal members of the SEARCH team (ex: mentor, board member, shift supervisor, etc.)
- Worked 5-10 shifts minimum at SEARCH
Leadership skills of this student will include:
- Knowledge of the community
- Cultural competency/sensitivity
- Positive attitude
- Strong delegation skills
- Ability to think strategically
- Mature .
- Supportive of team members
- Strong strategic thinking
- Has accountability to SEARCH
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Knowledgeable in own field of study
- Knowledge and understanding of interdisciplinary practice
- Knowledgeable in SEARCH’s policies
By accepting this position, student will participate in a mandatory team leader orientation session (time determined on number of Team Leaders available for orientation session). Their roles in this position will include, but not be limited to:
- Be an advocate and ambassador for SEARCH.
- Responsible for everyone in their designated area.
- Solve problems that arise during the shift and bring issues to the Shift supervisor’s attention.
- Ensure daily curriculum is adhered to.
- Ensure rules are properly being followed.
- Ensure end-of-day cleaning is done properly.
- Help and guide new volunteers understand their role.
- Ensure safety of volunteers and clients during programming by making sure safety protocols are being adhered to.
- Provide support for team members if needed in situations that might arise.
- Approach Shift Supervisor with information pertaining to opportunities for improvement based on volunteer and client suggestions.
- Act as a model for demonstrating how volunteers interact within an interdisciplinary setting.
We are very excited about this new position being created, giving more opportunities for our students to be champions and leaders in interdisciplinary care. For more information please email email@example.com