During SEARCH shifts, social programs rotates on a monthly basis and is held for participants of all ages. To view when upcoming programming will be offered, please visit the Programming Calendar page.
Social programming is run by students with the guidance of professional mentors. It is a great hands on learning experience for students to practice working in their profession as well as with an interdisciplinary team.
These programs include:
- Nutrition Program: SEARCH offers a hot lunch at the beginning of each shift. This is prepared by the volunteers and planned by a Nutrition mentor in accordance with Canada’s Food Guide.
- Childcare: Childcare is provided to parents and children who attend SEARCH. This allows parents the option to participate in programming, see the doctor, or just get in some visiting time with friends and family.
- Fun With Food: Fun with Food is a cooking program where clients of all ages can learn to cook quick, easy, and healthy meals.
- Pre-Teen Girl’s Group: Girls ages 10-15 years of age are invited to take part in a group designed just for them! This group is designed to engage youth girls in topics relevant to their level of development and allowed for more tailored activities for participation.
- Women’s Group: The women’s group runs once a month for an hour. It is a group that is for women and lead by women. Activities such as beading, arm knitting, sewing, and adult colouring are integrated into this group to allow participants to gain new skills and be supported by their peers.
- Cultural Support: SEARCH has a cultural support worker that works with students and mentors to provide cultural guidance and increase cultural sensitivity in all programming at the clinic. Participation in cultural ceremony and activities are also included in this program.
- What’s the Buzz?: What’s the Buzz? is a health awareness group. Each week this program runs, a speaker, mentor, or the shift supervisor prepares a presentation to educate clients on a particular topic.
- Children’s Programs: Children’s programming at SEARCH incorporates a holistic approach to the overall health of children. Children take part in a variety of cultural, educational, artistic, musical, toddler toys activities in order to provide education opportunities through play and spark interests in children.
- Literacy Days: Days runs once a month at SEARCH. On the day this occurs, all other regular programming (aside from lunch, the drop in clinic, and counselling) is not run. This program aims to promote literacy at the clinic and do so in a way that reflected the cultures and traditions of the people served.
Sign-up for ShiftsCurrent volunteers and mentors click here for documents and scheduling.
Visit the ClinicSaturdays: 12:30-3:30 PM
Mondays: 5:30-8:30 PM
Four Directions Community Health Centre
3510 5th Avenue
Programming CalendarTo view the programming calendar, click here